Dolma / Stuffed Grape Leaves
Ingredients For Dolma Mix:
- Rice (Basmati, 4 Cups)
- Beef (Sirloin, 2.5 pounds)
- Onion, (1 Chopped)
- Garlic (5 Diced)
- Salt and Pepper (1 Tablespoon Each)
- Spices/Baharat/ All Spice (5 Tablespoons)
- Tomato Sauce (One, 12 oz Can)
- Tomato Paste (One, 12 Can)
- Lemon (2 Fresh Lemons)
Ingredients For Layering, Stuffing and Cooking:
- Grape Leaves (Fresh or in a Jar) (Approximately 30)
- Carrots (2)
- Celery (4)
- Onions (5)
- Eggplant (1)
- Zucchini (1)
- Butter (1 Stick)
- Lemon Juice (1 Cup)
- Watert (2 Cups)
- In a large bowl, add the washed rice.
- On a cutting board, cut 2.5 pounds of sirloin beef very tiny. Or ask your butcher to grind/ground beef. Then add it to the mix/rice bowl.
- Cut up one onion very small and add to the mix.
- Mince the garlic and add to the mix.
- Add salt, pepper, and spices to the bowl and mix with your hands.
- Add the tomato paste and sauce to the bowl and mix all together.
- Add fresh lemon, and make sure everything is well blended.
- Now you are done with the stuffing. Set aside and work on the onions, eggplant and zucchini.
- In a 10 quart pot, add 1/4 cup of vegetable or olive oil.
- Then shave carrots and celery and add to the pot. Just organize them in there.
- For the eggplant and zucchini, just shave every other length wise and take out the insides.
- Peel the onions. Cut the ends of the onions and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt on each end of the onion and set aside for 15 minutes. This process is done so that each layer of the onion opens easier without breaking.
- After 15 minutes, stuff the onions.
- Stuff the eggplant and zucchini.
- Stuff the grape leaves.
- First layer, as I mentioned is the celery and carrots, then onion, then zucchini and eggplants. Last layer is the grape leaves.
- When you are finished layering, add a stick of butter.
- Then add the lemon juice and water.
- Cook on stove top on high heat until it comes to a boil.
- After it comes to a boil, turn to low/medium heat and let it cook for 30-45 minutes.
- When it is done cooking, wait about 30 minutes to an hour before flipping.