Maqloubi / Eggplant and Red Rice Dish
- Sirloin Beef (2 Pounds)
- Onion (1)
- Rice (2 Cups of Basmati Rice)
- Tomato Paste (1/2 Cup)
- Eggplant (1)
- Tomato (1)
- Allspice (1.5 TSP)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Water (2 Cups)
- Parchment Paper
- Roughly chop 2 pounds of sirloin beef and add it to a non stick skillet. Do not add water or oil, as it gives out liquid during the cooking process.
- Let the Meat cook on medium heat until the liquid dissolves.
- When the liquid has dissolved, add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Roughly chop one onion into half moons and add it to the meat. Keep the heat temperature on medium.
- Add one and a half teaspoons of allspice and half teaspoon of salt to the beef and onions. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes then turn the heat off and set aside.
- To make the eggplant you need one large pan. Set parchment paper on it and brush the paper with olive oil. Cut the eggplant into half moons. Then brush the eggplant with olive oil, on both sides. Also, sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Bake the eggplant 375º for 20 minutes. When it has cooked, take it out and set it on the side.
- Take one large tomato and slice it into round pieces.
- In a small non stick skillet, add one tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil and add the tomatoes. Just let them sauté for a minute each side then set them on the side.
- To cook the red rice, you need a medium sized saucepan with a lid.
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat, then add 1/2 cup of tomato paste. Cook on medium to low heat for about 4-5 minutes to caramelize the tomato paste and deepen the flavor.
- Add two cups of water to that.
- Add half teaspoon of salt.
- Wash two cups of basmati rice and add it to the saucepan.
- Cover the lid and let the rice cook on medium to low heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- When everything is cooked, get a large saucepan.
- Set everything in order. Round tomatoes, eggplant, beef/onion mix, red rice.
- Tap it down with a spoon and set it in the oven 350º for 15 minutes. Take it out and let it cool off for about 15 minutes.
- Flip the Maqloubi into a round dish.